Dry chemical Powder fire extinguishers are by far the most common fire extinguishers in the home. They can handle all three types of fires you would find in a kitchen or workshop: combustible solids like wood or paper, combustible liquids like gasoline or grease, and electrical fires. The idea behind a dry chemical fire extinguisher is to blanket the fuel with an inert solid (similar to dirt or sand).
Although this fire extinguisher is ideal for electrical fires it is not recommended for use on or nearby sensitive equipment such as computers etc. The residue can be vacuumed up once it has dried but it can be hard to remove if it has contacted a very hot surface.This fire extinguisher is not suitable for fires involving cooking oil / fats.